For better or worse, I’ve released a brand new plugin. It was one of those things I did spur of the moment because I wanted to implement something and the way I wanted to do it wasn’t available (insert some comment about necessity being the mother of invention here).
The new plugin is WP Plugin Data. It’s designed to use the WordPress.org Plugin API to get data about a specific plugin. John Blackbourn already wrote a plugin, Plugin Info, that does something similar. However, it requires that you set a Custom Field to the plugin name. I didn’t like this approach because I could only grab data for one plugin per a page.
So, using John’s plugin as a template, I wrote my own plugin that used shortcodes to add the data. And then I released it. This is why I love the GNU GPL. As for naming, I really hate it when plugins use the “WP” moniker in their titles. Typically, the plugin has absolutely no affiliation to WordPress and I feel the only reason they put “WP” in their name is to gain some form of (undeserved) recognition. For this reason, I really didn’t want to put “WP” in the title. However, I did end up using because this plugin actually does integrate itself into the WP.org backend using the API…so I feel the use is justified.
Anyway, enough about that.