After dilly dallying around for a couple months, I finally got serious about pushing the 2.1 version out the door. A couple of reasons for this actually.
First, the WordPress 2.5 is coming out end of March/beginning of April and I wanted to get out one more release (this one) before the next version of WordPress hits the streets.
Second, it’s fits with my development flow; releasing every few months when I can.
Here are the list of updates in Countdown Timer v2.1.1:
- Fixed i18n translation issues where mo file would sometimes not be loaded
- Updated UI (note: Based on UI code from Google XML Sitemaps)
- Removed code dealing with recurring events (which has not been included for a few versions now)
- Added js countdown ability to admin example (which doesn’t have wp_footer hook?)
- Updated the link to the JS file to make it dynamic in case a folder gets renamed
- Fixed a bug in the JS file that caused dates to be calculated incorrectly
- Append a letter to the beginning of the unique id (as per XHTML requirement)…who knew?
- Added two language files: Swedish (thanks to Mattias Tengblad) and Spanish (thanks to Google Translator)
The biggest change user will notice is the new UI. It’s based off the code from Google XML Sitemaps which I’m assuming is based off the code from WordPress itself. The great thing about the new design is that you can collapse, expand and move around the boxes to fit your work flow.
All the other changes are ‘under the hood’ and deal with code changes to make things work better in a larger variety of situations.
The Countdown Timer plugin is about three months shy of its third anniversary of public release! I’ve basically been maintaining it since the end of freshman year in college, which is when I switched to WordPress.
The first public version was v0.6. It had about 50 lines of code and used a text file to store the data. There was also no UI at all.
Since the beginning of last March, there have been over 8700 downloads, which would almost pay for a semester of college if everyone gave a $1 (wink wink)!0